A man who was still working as a barber when he was 108 years old has died in New York.

NEW WINDSOR, N.Y. — A man who was still working as a barber when he was 108 years old has died in New York.

Brooks Funeral Home says Anthony Mancinelli died Thursday.

The Italian immigrant worked as a barber from age 12 until this past July in and around Newburgh, 50 miles (80 kilometers) north of New York City.

Guinness World Records credited him with being the oldest working barber.

He opened Anthony’s Barbershop of Newburgh in 1930 and owned it for 40 years. He later worked at other shops.

An obituary published by the funeral home says he outlived his wife of 69 years, seven siblings and one of his two sons.

A Wisconsin woman allegedly stashed her mother’s corpse in a plastic tub in the basement

A Wisconsin woman allegedly stashed her mother’s corpse in a plastic tub in the basement while living off the mom’s Social Security checks, authorities said.

The woman, 60-year-old Paula Bergold, hatched the plan months ago when her mother, Ruby, died and she didn’t have a steady income to support herself, local police said.

A neighbor called police and told them she hadn’t seen Ruby since May and was concerned that Paula was “being evasive to where Ruby might be.”

Police responded to the home last week and found a note taped to the door that said, “Ruby has gone out of town to visit some friends of ours. Paula.”

Cops noticed a stench of a decaying body while standing at the door and saw mothballs near the entrance.

Paula eventually came clean, telling cops her mother died in a chair and she couldn’t bring herself to alert authorities.

When the corpse started to smell, she said she put her it in a plastic container and stashed it in the basement.

She was arrested and charged with hiding a corpse, failing to report a death and obstruction.

Attorney information was not immediately available.

Jon Cryer doesn’t want Demi Moore to feel bad about taking his virginity 

Jon Cryer doesn’t want Demi Moore to feel bad about taking his virginity — because she didn’t.

In her new memoir, “Inside Out,” Moore writes that she felt bad taking his virginity while filming their 1984 movie, “No Small Affair.”

However, it turns out Moore, 56, was not Cryer’s first.

“Well, the good thing about this is she doesn’t have to feel bad about it anymore, because while I’m sure she was totally justified making that assumption based on my skill level (and the stunned look on my face at the time), I had actually lost my virginity in high school,” Cryer, 54, tweeted in response on Tuesday afternoon.

“It pains me to think of how callous I was with his feelings — that I stole what could have been such an important and beautiful moment from him,” she writes.

He added, “But she’s right the other part, I was over the moon for her during a very troubled time in her life. I have nothing but affection for her and not a regret in the world.”

“Inside Out” went on sale Tuesday.

Moore, who was around 21 years old at the time, revealed she was dependent on cocaine during that time in her life and did some “self-destructive things during that period.”

The Philippines coast guard said seven rowers drowned

KALIBO, Philippines — The Philippines coast guard said seven rowers drowned and 14 others were rescued when their dragon boat overturned Wednesday after being lashed by strong waves during a practice run off a popular resort island.

Friends, supporters and fellow rowers expressed shock and offered prayers for the sudden deaths in the team’s Facebook account.

Survivors of the accident, including a Chinese and a Russian, were brought by coast guard personnel and authorities to a hospital, Balilo said. The boat capsized less than half a kilometer (a third of a mile) from the nearest beach.

There was no storm battering the region and government forecasters said light to moderate winds were expected Wednesday with generally calm seas, but weather in the region has been known to suddenly shift.

Dragon boat rowing using Chinese-style canoes adorned with dragon designs and manned by a team of paddlers and a drum beater on board have long been popular in the Philippines, with teams competing in domestic and Asian competitions.

Last month, 31 people died when their two ferries capsized in the Iloilo Strait after being suddenly buffeted by fierce waves and winds off Guimaras and Iloilo provinces, not far from Boracay.

British forces need more “non-lethal” options to disable our enemies, the defence head has said.

British forces need more “non-lethal” options to disable our enemies, the defence head has said.

General Sir Nick Carter warned that the world is a less stable place than at any time in his 42-year career.

Speaking to an international audience at a Defence and Security event in London, the Chief of the Defence Staff said the British military needed to develop more non-lethal options to give politicians greater options in future conflicts.

The pace of change is “more profound than anything humanity has experienced outside of the two world wars,” he said

He cautioned that challenges to the international rules-based order at the pace of recent years inevitably “breeds instability”.

“We are living through a period of phenomenal change,” he said.

Activities short of actual combat such as cyber attacks – increasingly referred to as the grey zone – mean that highly technical military technology is often rendered redundant.

The military needed to have “smaller and faster capabilities to avoid detection…and emphasise the non-lethal disabling of enemy capabilities thereby increasing the range of political and strategic choice,” General Nick said. 

“This is compounded by a rapidly evolving character of conflict brought on by the pervasiveness of information and the extraordinary advances in technology.”

“We are now being challenged on multiple fronts,” he said.

“Constant competition with rivals in the so-called grey zone is increasing the focus on military capabilities which are not designed to have a kinetic or lethal impact in the way that conventional capabilities tend to be.”

Workers at the Abqaiq Aramco oil plant in eastern Saudi Arabia heard the first missile land just after 3.50am. 

They grabbed their gas masks and ran first to the stabilisation columns – one of the most vital parts of the facility – which were on fire.

“The terrorist strikes were still going on when the first team arrived,” said Khaled al-Ghamdi, operations manager at Abqaiq. “The first hour is known as the golden hour and they knew they had to try to get a handle before it burned out of control.”

The overnight team thought it was an explosion caused by a malfunction – extremely rare but not unheard of at the world’s largest oil processing plant. By strikes two, three, and four, they were in no doubt as to what was happening. This was a deliberate, targeted hit.

 

Some 150 miles away at the exact same moment, a combination of missiles and drones struck a second processing site at Khurais. Saudi Aramco bosses were woken in the middle of the night to be told the news.

By sunrise on Saturday the damage to both plants was clear. Whoever was responsible had managed to cripple the kingdom’s oil production, halving it from more than five million barrels per day to just two overnight. Oil prices rocketed to record highs – higher even than at the start of the Islamic revolution of 1979 and during the Arab-Israeli war oil embargo.

 Saudi Arabia has suffered a number of much smaller-scale and much less consequential attacks in the past few months, almost exclusively at the hands of Iran-backed Houthis which the kingdom is fighting in neighbouring Yemen. The militia did claim the latest strikes – but they were met with widespread scepticism.

As one official in Riyadh put it to the Telegraph, “such an attack on Saudi’s oil industry is like a knife through its beating heart.”

Instead, last weekend’s strikes brought the long-running shadow war between Saudi Arabia and Iran out into the open. If US intelligence is to be believed, this was the first major attack by Iran, from Iran, on its foe.

All eyes are now on Saudi Arabia, which cannot leave the attack unanswered but also knows confrontation with Iran must be avoided at all costs.

Saudi Aramco put on a press tour of the two sites on Friday – a rare exercise in transparency for a hermit kingdom not known to open its doors to journalists.

So unexpected was it that Tehran might direct and deliver its own assault, Saudi Arabia’s anti-missile defence system was facing south towards Yemen rather than north towards Iran and Iraq. Tehran is suspected of sending its missiles a circuitous route round the northern Persian Gulf through Iraqi air space, which allowed it to successfully evade sophisticated Saudi radars.

 

 Visiting the ruined sites it was immediately clear the strike had been clearly planned and cleverly executed, a raid far beyond the capabilities of the Houthis.

Riyadh is clearly keen to drum up support for any coordinated response against Iran. It has already shared much of its evidence with the US and plans to present it at the United Nations General Assembly in the coming week.

At Khurais, cranes had been erected around two burnt-out stabilisation columns, which form part of oil-gas separation units.

At Abqaiq, gaping holes were being mended in spherical “three-phase separators”, which perform the crucial function of separating fluids into gas, oil and water.

Parts are being urgently shipped from as far away as the US and Europe.

Experts who looked at the Telegraph’s photographs from the site suggested that the scale of the attack had probably been underplayed.

Under its de facto young ruler Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia has been trying to open up to the world. That Friday’s tour even happened is the clearest sign of that to date.   

Next year Riyadh is hosting the G20 summit. The kingdom will need to instill confidence that it will be able to protect such important visiting delegates from any possible future attack.

“You can see, there is a lot of damage,” said Mr Ghamdi, the manager at Abqaiq, pointing to a scorched stabiliser. “But we have some of the best teams in the world. Within seven hours the fires were extinguished. Within 24 hours we brought production back to 30 per cent.”

Around 1,100 Aramco employees work at the Abqaiq plant on a normal week, but until the company manages to restore normal output – which they estimate to be by the end of the month – they have 6,000 working 24/7.

Any cover up would have seriously eroded trust in Saudi Arabia, not just of its allies but of investors ahead of a much-anticipated international public offering for the state-owned Aramco – billed as the world’s largest ever IPO.

“Yes, the attack happened,” said Mr Ghamdi, “but had it been any other country that would have been it [for the industry]. We must remember that Saudi is strong. The world should know that.”

The Iranian foreign minister has claimed that the UK offered release £400m owed to Iran from a decades-old deal in return for Tehran freeing Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

The Iranian foreign minister has claimed that the UK offered release £400m owed to Iran from a decades-old deal in return for Tehran freeing Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the British-Iranian charity worker.

Mr Zarif said both Mr Hammond and Mr Johnson considered the idea but that it was nixed by Mr Hunt because he harboured ambitions to become prime minister and did not want to be seen to be paying a ransom to Iran.

Speaking at the UN General Assembly in New York, Javad Zarif said that both Philip Hammond and Boris Johnson were open to the proposal when they were foreign secretary but that it was taken off the table by Jeremy Hunt.

The idea involves the UK returning £400m which the Shah of Iran paid in the 1970s to purchase 1,750 tanks and armoured cars from Britain. The UK did not deliver the tanks after the Shah was overthrown and Iran has repeatedly demanded the money back.

“Jeremy started talking about ‘you’re asking for ransom’. And I said: ‘Come on, this is not something that I started. This is something that Philip started,’” Mr Zarif said. “Jeremy started to play tough because he wanted to become prime minister and it didn’t work out for anybody.”

He added that he had also discussed the proposal with Dominic Raab, the current foreign secretary, without reaching a conclusion.

“[Mr Raab raised it] and I told him that there was an offer from their side which unfortunately hasn’t been fulfilled. Basically he made a statement and I made a rebuttal and then we said goodbye.”

Richard Ratcliffe, Nazanin’s husband, told the Guardian he was glad that Mr Zarif had made the offer of an exchange of payments for his wife’s freedom so explicit. “I am glad that foreign minister Zarif has been so clear. Transparency has been a long time coming,” he said.

An international arbitration court ruled in 2009 that the UK must pay the money back but Britain’s own high court has yet to issue a ruling on the subject.

“We will highlight our concerns over innocent people being held in Iran without due judicial process at the UN this week.”

There’s something oddly satisfying about the London Underground tube map. Despite often being the bane of commuter’s lives, it still provides that warm comforting feeling deep inside. You have the knowledge that it can transport and cradle you home after a hard day’s graft, safely away from the London hustle and bustle.

The one aspect I can’t get over was that the District line went from Windsor all the way to Southend! That needs to be brought back immediately.

The Underground is an ever evolving system with many stations being demolished, abandoned and relocated. These are known as ‘Ghost stations’ and there are a lot of them. Thankfully for us, Us Versus Them used Dylan Maryk’s work to plot all these ex-stations on a map and it has a beautiful but eerie quality to it.

The Queen still holds down a full time job 94, and undoubtedly puts in a fair amount of hard graft.

The Queen still holds down a full time job 94, and undoubtedly puts in a fair amount of hard graft.

And it’s fair to say that many people wold love to swap places with her.

She boasts an impressive property portfolio, which includes  including, but is not limited to, Windsor Castle, Kensington Palace and Sandringham House.

To sweeten the deal further, Elizabeth II is worth an estimated £418million and benefited from a £82.2m sovereign grant courtesy of the tax payer this year, the Mirror reports.

 As much as Her Majesty’s competence in the wheel has not been called into question – with David Cameron implying the Queen was a dab hand when it came to car control in his new book – a further perk ensures she is free from legal reproach.

Along with her ability to form a government and bestow honours on members of the public, the head of state can and does drive the roads of Britain without having passed her test.

Unlike every other driver in the UK, the royal is not required to drive with a number plate.

The Queen’s demeanour when in the driving seat was the subject of a story earlier this year.

According to Shepard Cowper-Coles, a former British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, in 2003 the country’s then king Abdullah had a fright when he jumped in the passenger seat while visiting Balmoral.

What is not surprising is the ageing monarch was taken aback to be driven by woman – given his country’s total ban on female drivers until 2018.

What seems more unlikely is that the King of Saudi Arabia – a country which regularly crucifies people – was left trembling by Her Majesty’s intensity on the roads.

The Middle Eastern royal even asked the Queen, through his translator, to “slow down and concentrate on the road ahead.”

Toy manufacturer Mattel has launched a new line of dolls that are “gender inclusive” and “free of labels”.

Toy manufacturer Mattel has launched a new line of dolls that are “gender inclusive” and “free of labels”.

The “Creatable World” kits come with clothing options, accessories and wigs to allow children to style the doll with short or long hair, or in a skirt, trousers or both.

Mattel said it worked alongside a “dedicated team of experts, parents, physicians and most importantly, kids” to create the six different kits in a variety of skin tones.

“Through research, we heard that kids don’t want their toys dictated by gender norms. This line allows all kids to express themselves freely which is why it resonates so strongly with them.

“We’re hopeful Creatable World will encourage people to think more broadly about how all kids can benefit from doll play.”